• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

How many miles, hours, and issues have you had?

Same, I’ve been running 91 “clear gas” for years. In all of my generators, saws, wood splitter, atv’s. When I spoke with my dealer about some issues I had while elk hunting. The first thing he asked was if I was running pump gas or clear. I said clear, and he said switch to pump for a couple tanks, and I bet the issue goes away. He said he’d even back by paying for the pump gas if it doesn’t work.
So what is "pump gas" and what is "clear gas"? In my area we have about 4 main choices and they are listed in order of cost.

1. E85 - Not approved for our machines.
2. 89 octane which contains 10% ethanol.
3. 87 octane which contains no ethanol.
4. 91 octane which contains no ethanol.

89 octane with 10% ethanol is what is used by 90% of the vehicles in the area. Very few run the E85 even if their vehicle will run it. Not sure why anyone would use the 87 octane with no ethanol anymore, it used to be the same price as the ethanol version, but we live in farm country and the politicians changed that. 91 octane no ethanol for old vehicles, small motors and higher horsepower cars and trucks.

Got a 6 seat crew in July. Just over 200 miles and just over 20 hrs. Steering wheel was not aligned right, got it back and steering was a mess. Replaced steering gear box, still wasn’t 100%. They are putting another steering gear box in it now.

Right before it went in engine ran rough for a few moments, got flashing them solid check engine light. Then went away. Told dealer and they said they already saw the issue and it was a bad spark plug.

I only use non-ethanol 91 octane gas.

Plastic fitment issues with the dash and columns on both sides. That is getting fixed now as well.

So what is "pump gas" and what is "clear gas"? In my area we have about 4 main choices and they are listed in order of cost.

1. E85 - Not approved for our machines.
2. 89 octane which contains 10% ethanol.
3. 87 octane which contains no ethanol.
4. 91 octane which contains no ethanol.

89 octane with 10% ethanol is what is used by 90% of the vehicles in the area. Very few run the E85 even if their vehicle will run it. Not sure why anyone would use the 87 octane with no ethanol anymore, it used to be the same price as the ethanol version, but we live in farm country and the politicians changed that. 91 octane no ethanol for old vehicles, small motors and higher horsepower cars and trucks.
So what we call “clear gas is 91 octane, with 0 ethanol” you either hear it called clear gas, or ethanol free. But it’s always 91 octane.

Pump gas, is either:
Regular 87 octane with ethanol
Plus/mid grade 89 octane with ethanol
Premium 92 octane with ethanol.

All pump gas has 10% ethanol in Oregon.

I’ve always ran clear 91/92 octane non ethanol in all small motors. Saws, generators, atv’s, splitter, lawn mower, weed trimmer, etc.

The ethanol will get gelled up in fuel lines, carbs, etc. and the fuel stabilizers don’t work. Experienced it out tuna fishing and crabbing out on the coast one time. Generator in toy hauler wouldn’t start. Carb was all jacked up and looked like gelatin. Switched over to clear gas and never had an issue again for 9 years before selling it.

Back