• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Marv

Marv

Sep 23, 2024
We have been Polaris customers since we got too old for dirt bikes chasing circle irrigation and other farming operations. Started out 4x4s than Ranger’s plus a Rzr or two for fun . We have had every model of Ranger over the years I would think . Each year Polaris has been improving from the old “Buck board “ Ranger with very little suspension , no cabs or comfort to what is offered today . Just took delivery of a 1500 6 seat Ultra to join our 2020 ranger 1000 . We are planning on using the 1500 for more play than work , hunting , exploring, etc . Marv

There are numerous of us 1500 owners with similar Polaris history here, Marv.
Welcome !!!

Last edited:
Marv, welcome to the group! As you already know the 1500 is a leap forward over the 1000's hope you enjoy it, and it treats you well.

Welcome. I've had multiple 1000 XPs, many with all the bells and whistles. I purchased a new XD NorthStar Premium in March, it is not the same animal AT ALL. A completely, 100% different platform. It is part UTV, part Jeep, part Truck. I use it as all three... I absolutely love it. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with an emergency brake/secondary braking system. I don't want a second break for function, but If it had one, I could license it and drive it legally on the public roads.

Welcome. I've had multiple 1000 XPs, many with all the bells and whistles. I purchased a new XD NorthStar Premium in March, it is not the same animal AT ALL. A completely, 100% different platform. It is part UTV, part Jeep, part Truck. I use it as all three... I absolutely love it. My only complaint is that it doesn't come with an emergency brake/secondary braking system. I don't want a second break for function, but If it had one, I could license it and drive it legally on the public roads.
Well that sucks, all you need is a secondary brake to make it road legal. Maybe buy a sticker that says Parking Brake and put it on the cover where the transmission neutral lever is.............it kind of looks like an old parking brake. ;)

Well that sucks, all you need is a secondary brake to make it road legal. Maybe buy a sticker that says Parking Brake and put it on the cover where the transmission neutral lever is.............it kind of looks like an old parking brake. ;)
Secondary brake, turn signals and horn (the latter two I could easily add) is all it needs to be street legal in Illinois.

I believe there is a device you could add that mounts onto the floor board near the pedals that could possibly pass a secondary brake. I can’t remember what it’s called. But it’s basically a lever that you can slide over the brake pedal once it’s pressed down. It basically holds the brake pedal down.

I believe there is a device you could add that mounts onto the floor board near the pedals that could possibly pass a secondary brake. I can’t remember what it’s called. But it’s basically a lever that you can slide over the brake pedal once it’s pressed down. It basically holds the brake pedal down.
Thanks for the tip, but it has to be a secondary system like an automobile... meaning you can engage it if the primary system fails while moving.

Secondary brake, turn signals and horn (the latter two I could easily add) is all it needs to be street legal in Illinois.

That's a shitty law, shame on Illinois! I doubt that anyone makes such an aftermarket device for the 1500 and if they did it would likely be expensive. I'm guessing the Can Am Defender is a popular SXS in your area since it has a parking brake. I live in the SE corner of Iowa where in Illinois do you live?

That's a shitty law, shame on Illinois! I doubt that anyone makes such an aftermarket device for the 1500 and if they did it would likely be expensive. I'm guessing the Can Am Defender is a popular SXS in your area since it has a parking brake. I live in the SE corner of Iowa where in Illinois do you live?
That's a shitty law,

shame on Illinois! I doubt that anyone makes such an aftermarket device for the 1500 and if they did it would likely be expensive. I'm guessing the Can Am Defender is a popular SXS in your area since it has a parking brake. I live in the SE corner of Iowa where in Illinois do you live?

I'm in rural southern Illinois, only about 45 minutes from Kentucky and 1-1/2 hr southeast of St. Louis. I believe an emergency brake is required for licensing vehicles in all 50 states. Many of Illinois towns allow riding ATVs/UTVs & golf carts with a city permit., but not on county roads and highways. A few states allow ATVs/UTVs on all roads except interstates, again with a permit.

I'm lucky Iowa passed a statewide law a few years back that basically lets us drive anywhere except 4 lane divided highways. We are limited to 35 MPH so we can be hazards on the roads like all the tractors running around. Most run around 45 MPH with no issues from the local Po Po.

Here in Oregon, we are not allowed on any paved road. Only in small eastern Oregon towns do people get away with it. A lot of ranching/farming. I can get away with running down to my local store/gas station. It’s all rural and outside of city limits. But that’s about it.

Back