• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

JBL 4200 Audio Upgrade........is it good?

Big Red

Sep 27, 2023
I'm thinking about adding the JBL Audio upgrade, but I don't know how good it is. The stereo in the Expedition rocks and if this makes my Ranger sound like that, I want one.
So, does anyone on this site have one and what can you tell me about it? I read the 1 review on Polaris's website, and it got 1 star. Below is what they said about it.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!​

I ordered this when I ordered my 1500 NS Ultimate on launch day. It was late July 2023. Got the Ranger in November 23, and the stereo came in early July 24. Back ordered for almost exactly a year. After hearing the JBL in the Expedition, I was excited. The Exp sounded great! So I put my order in for this thinking it would sound similar. DEAD WRONG! There is almost no bass! If you turn it up to 5, it sounds like the subs are about to blow. So not only do I have worthless subs, I can't even turn up the volume loud enough to hear my music. As good as the 1500 is, this audio kit is the exact opposite. So, don't waste your money, or the year it may take to get it, just take it to an audio shop and get it done right the first time.

I wish I could tell ya. I’m still waiting on mine to make it to the dealer.

I am picking mine up tomorrow. I have numerous other wiring projects when I remove my headliner so could be couple weeks before I report results.
It's always hard to trust and understand others evaluations , some folks are just negative and others have owned high end products and have very high expectations.
We enjoy what we have and hope to enhance it.

Last edited:
Well I just looked online at Polaris. It says availability in December of 2024. I’ll have to ask my dealer when I take mine in on Saturday, if they’ve heard anything different.

Well I just looked online at Polaris. It says availability in December of 2024. I’ll have to ask my dealer when I take mine in on Saturday, if they’ve heard anything different.
Holy Shit! I thought that they finally had them available, I didn't know so many people were still waiting on them. I'm going to call my dealer this week just to see if by chance he has 1 available, if not I guess I can put my name on the list.

Under the "notify me when available" tab there is also a "check dealer stock" tab, I just noticed it a few days ago. When I clicked it there appeared about six dealers within 100 miles and all but one said no stock. Just so happens the one one that said limited stock is where I purchased mine so I called them, the nice gal took the part number and my phone number, called me back 10 minutes later and she was surprised they did indeed have one.
it sounds like I got lucky.

Well shit, maybe my dealer needs to call around and see if they can get one from another dealer. I’ve been waiting since March. I’m currently in Utah, and I did a search on Polaris’s site and not a one around me has one. Checked Idaho as well as I’ll be in Boise on Thursday.

Well, I did get lucky but if you seen the dealership it would make more sense. It is in the heart of Ohio Amish country surrounded by thousands of acres of farmland and 50 miles from any notable town.
But they are huge with hundreds of machines. Monday is their late night until 7:00 and at 6:00 was very busy on the sales and service department. I don't think in the middle of farmland a lot of their customers are shopping for audio and I benefited.

I got a call...mine just came in. I am out of town for three weeks but had it dropped off this morning. Was ordered in March delivery was (may then June, then September then December. Back to August.) I will let you all know once they finish installing it.

Rear speakers are4” maybe. Amp is tiny with no numbers on it. Subs look so cheap.

Any one who thinks this kit is “worth it” has no idea about sound.
IMG_6161.jpeg
IMG_6162.jpeg
IMG_6163.jpeg
IMG_6164.jpeg

I was notified mine was in also. But gonna have to wait until at least mid October. Worried with some of the reviews of it. My dealer has one in his and he said it’s an improvement and sounds good. He said it’s no expedition system, but he said likes it and after hearing a customers, he had one installed in his.

I'm on the fence, I'm not sure for $1200 "good" is what I'm expecting. I've had two previous Rangers that I upgraded with Polaris audio and was severely disappointed in both. All they really needed to do was add 2 more rear speakers that sound as good as the front speakers, and I would be happy. I can't get one yet anyway, so I'll wait to hear more reviews.

I can understand that. I’m just looking to better fill the cab more evenly, with some added sound in the rear. Don’t really need to be a teenager letting everyone in a 5 block radius know that I have a stereo. If I had a 3 seat, I probably wouldn’t purchase it.

Bumping thread for KC Ranger 1500 XD. If anyone else has more information / opinions on the JBL 4200 upgrade please chime in. I still want one but have no desire to spend $1200 if I don't get more even sound

Bumping thread for KC Ranger 1500 XD. If anyone else has more information / opinions on the JBL 4200 upgrade please chime in. I still want one but have no desire to spend $1200 if I don't get more even sound
I have been out of town and have not had a chance to listen to mine as of yet. I asked the installer his honest thoughts …. This is what he wrote:

It sounds good .. wish there was little more bass from two eights but it’s a shallow compartment🤷🏽‍♂️ also that’s just me 😂 now if you’re sitting in the back behind driver it’s pretty nice.. the two roof speakers are nice for the people in the back, the front speakers drown the back out up front. Final thoughts.. the sub is nice and adds the missing bass but not worth the money imo.

Shoulda came factory in ultimates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I absolutely agree!! Polaris does some really greedy stupid shit from time to time that just pisses the customer off. When I bought my 2021 XP Ultimate it never came with a Winch Remote, the tight assholes decided us owners wouldn't miss the fact that they used to and made me spend another $100 to buy it. After a few months of listening to pissed off customers they started including them again and gave me a refund for the one I bought. I don't know why they can't seem to understand that when we buy their $50,000 "Ultimate" vehicles that we expect basic equipment such as side mirrors, sun visors, and a 4-speaker stereo system that sounds at least as good as one found in a $25,000 car. Instead, they insult us by charging $1200 for an "Audio Upgrade" that is just ok and takes a freaking year to get.

Back