• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

How many miles, hours, and issues have you had?

Big Red

Sep 27, 2023
So it's natural to complain when our XD let's us down, nobody likes a broken machine especially one that cost as much as a damn truck. So this post is to give us a feel of just how many people are experiencing real issues with their machine that has given them headaches and downtime. Don't post the growing pain shit that everyone knows about (leaking windshield, software updates, wrench in display, and so on) just post the stuff that has had you down or made you take it into the dealer for repair. Try to keep the format the same so it's easy for everyone to understand. I'll start.

1712 Miles
88 Hours
Radio quit working and the Ride Command Screen had to be replaced

This is a great idea Big Red.
500 ish miles
Radio reception sucks- better with after market antenna

Drivers window won't roll all the way up unless engine is running- all the tracks and seals I can see are in place so why does the extra volt or two from the alternator provide enough power to finish the job.

Winch fried- pretty sure my special needs son done this with his knee but the magnetic switch on the fair lead should have prevented it.

Roof leaks profusely in hard rain- nothing to add to that other than for 50k this is rediculas

The soo annoying clunk- mine is getting louder @ 500 miles. Joint's feel tight so wth is going on

Tranny manners- it is WONDERFUL when conditions are right but when you hit a steep hill or attempt to bounce over a a big rock it just falls on it's face. Please don't tell me to use power boost or whatever buzz term

took in for cylinder 1 miss fire over 10 times. Heavy smoke at start up. Head has been off they replaced the intake plenum. Still
Have heavy smoke at startup cylinder 1 miss fire at every start up. Dealer can’t fix it.

Axles clunking dealer replaced them but still
A awful clunking in the back. One new axle poped out.

Trans codes. 517826-9 they pop up when ever. No fix.

Cluster switching between day and night updates. From Polaris. No fix.

I installed the Polaris 84” plow with hydronic lift and tilt. Rocker switch will not allow the plow to go down. It’s the switch contacts are not making continuity. Switch not available till after Christmas.

I don’t even have time to think about the small stuff like a leaking windsheald.

I drive it on the weekend and the dealer works on it all week. They have had it in their possession longer than I have.

4600 miles and I replaced one rear shock and left rear axle. Other than that she’s running strong. There is an o-ring on the rear axle that pushes up against the differential when you seat it, you have to smack it pretty hard to compress the oring so the axle seats all the way and the circlip sets or it will keep popping out.

Believe they came out with an update for the clunking in the rear. Apparently loctite on the hub side somewhere on the threads or hub splines. As he walked away I wondered…. Why are we are we using loctite on the 50k machine at the hub but what do I know

273 members here and only 4-5 of us had issues? Speak up people what problems have you had (except the ones we all have)

700 miles. Front windshield seal just fell off at the top. New front windshield under warranty.
The most annoying is the Ride Command and instrument cluster goes from day mode to pitch black dark mode (all the way down, so you need to slide the dimmer and make it brighter-dark. Instrument cluster goes to dark also. Then 20 minutes later, back to bright mode, then 20 minutes later, back to pitch black mode. Dealer offered to replace with a re-ferb ride command. I'm waiting for Polaris to manufacture Ride Command with wifi.
Lastly, I can't get the Ride Command to USB tether to my Samsung flip 5 with the polaris app. I had the dealer try to USB tether with no success. Everdently there is still a "chip" shortage??? My 2020 Ranger NS had wifi and worked great.
Other than that, its' a great machine.

I've had 3 Ride Command systems (2017, 2021, and 2024) and not one of them had wifi that I was ever aware of.

900ish miles.
80ish hours

The rear end clunks. Which it’s in the shop for now. (Yes there is an update according to my dealer about applying loctite somewhere) also informed them of clubin’s axle replacement. So they’re inspecting those.

Uphill - when loading into my trailer to leave elk camp, it wouldn’t drive up into the trailer, once the rear tires hit the bottom of the ramp. Dealer said the TCM update would resolve that issue. First time I’ve ever experienced this issue.

Gas - been using 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. That causes problems. Runs rich when it’s cold. Some times back fires. Once up to full operating temp, runs fine. (This was more for information for members). I’m gonna switch to mid grade ethanol once all my clear gas has been run.

Gas - been using 91 octane non-ethanol fuel. That causes problems. Runs rich when it’s cold. Some times back fires. Once up to full operating temp, runs fine. (This was more for information for members). I’m gonna switch to mid grade ethanol once all my clear gas has been run.
I don't know

Manual says minimum 87 with UP TO 10% corn but no mention of ethanol actually being required.

REC-90 which is non-ethanal fuel stands for recreational fuel fo motorcycles, boats, chainsaws, etc as the ethanol has been proven to be harmful to certain plastics and rubber in smaller engines (many of us in my area lived this with our chainsaws when first introduced).
Mid grade ethanol gas would have an octane rating close to the same as above.

I will be interested in hearing if ethanol alone actually changes pre-ignition

All pump gas from gas stations has ethanol in it. That’s what they’re wanting at least 87 octane pump gas. Figured I’d run mid grade which is 89 octane. Worth a shot at being $2/gallon cheaper.

OK now I understand. I thought there was more to ethanol than just green house emissions and your dealer was suggesting the lack of ethanol was causing backfire. Mine has never had anything but the minimum level suggested with no backfire. I don't buy ethanol free for anything other dirt bikes, chain saws, etc due to price.

I always run 91 octane ethanol free gas in all my toys and small engines and have never had a problem. I had problems with 10% ethanol in a motorcycle and riding lawn mower years ago and have run 91 ever since. That said, I'm not saying that you have to, but that's what I do and have never had a problem with anything since. It is my understanding that having more octane than what is needed may be a waste of money but it doesn't hurt anything. Higher-octane rated gas prevents pre-ignition in higher compression motors, but it has nothing to do with making a motor run "lean" or "rich" which is controlled by the fuel to air ratio. So, I always put in 91 octane when I can whether the Ranger needs it or not.

I always run 91 octane ethanol free gas in all my toys and small engines and have never had a problem. I had problems with 10% ethanol in a motorcycle and riding lawn mower years ago and have run 91 ever since. That said, I'm not saying that you have to, but that's what I do and have never had a problem with anything since. It is my understanding that having more octane than what is needed may be a waste of money but it doesn't hurt anything. Higher-octane rated gas prevents pre-ignition in higher compression motors, but it has nothing to do with making a motor run "lean" or "rich" which is controlled by the fuel to air ratio. So, I always put in 91 octane when I can whether the Ranger needs it or not.
Though I don't spend the extra on corn free for Rangers and lawn equipment I always thought exactly the same.

Same, I’ve been running 91 “clear gas” for years. In all of my generators, saws, wood splitter, atv’s. When I spoke with my dealer about some issues I had while elk hunting. The first thing he asked was if I was running pump gas or clear. I said clear, and he said switch to pump for a couple tanks, and I bet the issue goes away. He said he’d even back by paying for the pump gas if it doesn’t work.

Back