• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Heat in the cab

70charger

Jul 30, 2024
Just bought a new 1500. Love it except for one thing. Get over 40 mph and noticeable amount of heat comes from the floor and behind the dash. The ac overcomes it for the most part but if you roll your windows down when it's cooler outside it feels like the heaters on full blast! Tore the dash apart looking for leaks but couldn't really find anything. Anyone else having this issue.?

Just bought a new 1500. Love it except for one thing. Get over 40 mph and noticeable amount of heat comes from the floor and behind the dash. The ac overcomes it for the most part but if you roll your windows down when it's cooler outside it feels like the heaters on full blast! Tore the dash apart looking for leaks but couldn't really find anything. Anyone else having this issue.?
Yes I drove mine today in the heat. The machine gets very hot when going 50 plus. I plan to put insulation in my floor board. Be sure the recycle air is on and use both AC and floor vents.

Yes, everyone else should be having this issue, it's related to the design more than just the warm components behind and underneath it. The problem is not unique to the XD, it also exists on the XP1000 but not quite as bad. I can't completely explain why but with the windows open air seems to circulate only at the upper part of the cab, there is basically no air movement below the seat. To greatly improve the situation, crack your windshield to the first notch. This will provide the positive air pressure that is needed to circulate the air in the cab. This works for dust as well, with just the windows down it wants to suck dust, crack the windshield and the dust is greatly reduced. This was also true for both of my XP's. Give it a try, I'm sure you will see a noticeable difference.

Yes, everyone else should be having this issue, it's related to the design more than just the warm components behind and underneath it. The problem is not unique to the XD, it also exists on the XP1000 but not quite as bad. I can't completely explain why but with the windows open air seems to circulate only at the upper part of the cab, there is basically no air movement below the seat. To greatly improve the situation, crack your windshield to the first notch. This will provide the positive air pressure that is needed to circulate the air in the cab. This works for dust as well, with just the windows down it wants to suck dust, crack the windshield and the dust is greatly reduced. This was also true for both of my XP's. Give it a try, I'm sure you will see a noticeable difference.
So I tore my drive shaft tunnel out and dynalinered the heck out of it and rubber foamed the seam. 100 percent better! Don't know why they can't do this at the factory. Seems ridiculous to tear apart a brand new machine. Hope this helps others out cuz I imagine I'm not the only one with this issue.

So I tore my drive shaft tunnel out and dynalinered the heck out of it and rubber foamed the seam. 100 percent better! Don't know why they can't do this at the factory. Seems ridiculous to tear apart a brand new machine. Hope this helps others out cuz I imagine I'm not the only one with this issue.
I had my skid off to run an antenna wire, like you I layed there amazed thinking at 50k there was no automotive insulation

So I was still getting hot air up the steering column so I pretty much tore everything apart. After taking fender off found a gap that was letting hot air off the radiator right behind the speedo. Filled gaps with expanding foam. Not pretty but effective. See attached photo.

Attachments

• 20240731_105410.jpg
    20240731_105410.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 5
So I was still getting hot air up the steering column so I pretty much tore everything apart. After taking fender off found a gap that was letting hot air off the radiator right behind the speedo. Filled gaps with expanding foam. Not pretty but effective. See attached photo.
Great picture! That explains the cold / warm air I feel getting in through my steering column and door latches. I'm not looking forward to doing this, but I think it will make a huge difference. I don't understand why the cheap bastards couldn't have done this at the factory and saved us the headache.

Wow, looks like to much work for me to tackle. So far in 90+ with just running the AC through the dash vents and floor vents I’ve been fine with the warm air. I might use some armaflex pipe insulation to stuff around the steering column. Already have it in the door latches. And I do think it’s a little ridiculous that we need to do this type of stuff with a $50K+ machine.

Yeah little silver tape here and there would have stopped the air hot or cold

I would like to have done what 70charger did, but truthfully, I will probably be too lazy to do it. So far, the heat has been able to compensate on the coldest days and the A/C has no trouble keeping my 2-door rig cool. Now if I had a 4-door rig that might be a different story since it would have to heat / cool twice the space.

I would like to have done what 70charger did, but truthfully, I will probably be too lazy to do it. So far, the heat has been able to compensate on the coldest days and the A/C has no trouble keeping my 2-door rig cool. Now if I had a 4-door rig that might be a different story since it would have to heat / cool twice the space.
It's not bad until it's nice enough to go with your windows down, then the heat really comes in. Polaris should do a recall on this honestly.

Do you have an ultimate? If so, I found with the xp and even in the XD, that having the windshield open is the best. The AC works great for me so far if I have it set on front vents and floor. But for me, I really like the windshield open and that fresh air. I was out last weekend and it was around 88-92 and ran with the window full open and was fine. Until after dark and the moths were out. Then it was AC time. There’s only so many times I can get hit in the face and floss out moth guts. lol.

We also feel our best enjoyment is all windows open until about 90. Though the noise is always minimal it is the least with open air, there is a small amount of reverberation from the exhaust when the cab is closed up.
No moths but we typically have a dozen spider webs stretched across the windshield opening.

Polaris should do a recall on this honestly.
I wouldn't count on it. I have had Polaris products off and on since 2004,, the 2005's melted their engine doghouses, literally melted. Everyone that rode often had to engineer and add their own cooling fans in the engine compartment.

It's not bad until it's nice enough to go with your windows down, then the heat really comes in. Polaris should do a recall on this honestly.
I don't think it's reasonable for one to think that a SXS half made of plastic and held together with push pins would be as airtight as a truck even though the damn thing cost as much as one. Like I said earlier in this post and Mr.C said above, cracking your front windshield will make a big difference. I think too much credit is given to the lines in the tunnel and outside air coming through the cracks causing the floor area to become hot. It has been my experience with both the XP and the XD that the floor gets hot, and it sucks dust with just the windows open. I believe just having the windows open creates a vacuum effect which does not allow fresh air to get to the floor. Once I crack the front window it creates positive air pressure which allows the air to circulate and both problems go away or are significantly reduced. Maybe some think I'm crazy and have a different experience..........all I can say is try it and decide for yourself.

If anyone watched the Polaris video talking about the new 2025 RZR family released last night, you'll see one of the biggest changes was to address the heat on the floor of the cab. They added a plate behind the radiators to direct the hot air out and around the outside of the car. They also added 2 scoops to the hood that feed fresh air into air ducts inside the bottom of the cab. That's exactly what we need on the XD!

Back