• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Air Conditioning problems.

Auctioneer

Jun 28, 2024
I am having trouble with AC on my crew Ranger 1500. When it sets still it gets really cold, when you drive it at speed down the road it blows both hot and cold air. The air is coming from somewhere other than the vents. I noticed it or the drivers side and my wife noticed it on the passenger side.

They AC is fine, the reason it's colder when you're sitting still or going slow can be explained by a couple of reasons.
1. Even though the doors seals are great air still gets in. I have felt air from my door latches and through the steering column. In the winter it is more noticeable by placing your hands in those areas. The faster you go the more outside air leaks in hot or cold.
2. Heat Transfer - There are several cooling lines running under the hump. The harder you run the more the units need to cool. These things are plastic tubs without a lot of insulation. The outside temps are always fighting to get in and the AC or Heater are always trying to overcome that.
From my experience the AC and Heater work great, but you need to understand that while great for a SXS they are still not at the level of a normal vehicle.

They AC is fine, the reason it's colder when you're sitting still or going slow can be explained by a couple of reasons.
1. Even though the doors seals are great air still gets in. I have felt air from my door latches and through the steering column. In the winter it is more noticeable by placing your hands in those areas. The faster you go the more outside air leaks in hot or cold.
2. Heat Transfer - There are several cooling lines running under the hump. The harder you run the more the units need to cool. These things are plastic tubs without a lot of insulation. The outside temps are always fighting to get in and the AC or Heater are always trying to overcome that.
From my experience the AC and Heater work great, but you need to understand that while great for a SXS they are still not at the level of a normal vehicle.
Should i try insulate the cooling lines? Is that an option? Is there a way to insulate the steering wheel shaft?

Should i try insulate the cooling lines? Is that an option? Is there a way to insulate the steering wheel shaft?
Several people here have insulated the lines under the hump, but I haven't so I can't tell you if it makes a big difference or not. I have not been able to locate exactly where the air is coming in but, in the winter, I could feel it entering in between the steering column and the dash. I'm not sure that's the source of the leak just where I can feel it entering into the cab. The door latches are another source of air, several of us have filled the cavity behind the latch with gaskets or insulation. Not sure what the thread is called but if you search and you should be able to find it.

Back