• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

3000 km both rear axles worn out

WTF is an understatement. I get our XD's are the first model year of a completely new design and expect to have a few things like a leaky windshield or some other annoying shit, but axle popping out seems like something that shouldn't be happening.

Mine goes in Thursday. It's under warranty but I'm wondering if Highlifter or Rhino would be a better option when the day comes It's not.

Mine goes in Thursday. It's under warranty but I'm wondering if Highlifter or Rhino would be a better option when the day comes It's not.
Mine has just 500 miles and the dreaded clunk has intensified. Since Clubbins unhitched I lam wondering if the left side is too short as that is the same side as mine. Mine feel tight so wondering if it is just pulling them to their outer limit. Either way, once again Polaris released these machines before R&D was properly completed. Please keep us updated.

Last edited:
Mine has just 500 miles and the dreaded clunk has intensified. Since Clubbins unhitched I lam wondering if the left side is too short as that is the same side as mine. Mine feel tight so wondering if it is just pulling them to their outer limit. Either way, once again released these machines before R&D was properly completed. Please keep us updated.
Mines getting worse to 1200 miles

That’s BS, the axles were just replaced and now one pops out. That’s worse than before. I’m definitely taking mine back in. Have the same knocking noise, dealer said they tightened axle nuts. And now it’s worse.

You, CANNOT get free of issues
I tightened my spindles, clunking got louder. I overtightened them and noise level continued to increase. Told my wife yesterday I felt like the noise was coming from the rear end which of course where the plunge cv resides. On the 05's they had a tolerance issue with the splines. Mine has just 600 miles on it.
Reflash to make the wrench go away
Window operator not correct on drivers door
Clunking
Burnt winch
Safety recall
I guess the list is long enough to make a half day trip to drop it

With it being the first year model only in production for 14 months, there is probably more maintenance issues to come. I've got 84 hours and 1600 miles. 450 of the miles were in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming in easy to difficult terrain. I"ve had zero issues other than the winch recall. Polaris, for the most part, has their product testing done by the consumer. So I'm guessing it will be about five to eight model years before we can feel safe. Honda does a much better job, doing their own product field testing for two-years before they put a new design model on the market. Unfortunately, NO OTHER MANUFACTURER makes anything that compares to the XD. Part UTV, part jeep, part truck. And it ought to be for the price! We'll all see how it goes. Good luck boys and girls!

I’m confident rear diff is eating itself. Just dumped the oil looked like dark silver paint. I don’t think
The axles weren’t the issue.
The clunk is bad!

I’m confident rear diff is eating itself. Just dumped the oil looked like dark silver paint. I don’t think
The clunk is bad!
GREAT !!!!
I don't get it, they make machines with twice this hp. This is getting rediculas

The clunk is bad!
That’s not good to hear. I did tell my dealer that they needed to look at inner and outer CV’s and rear diff. My deer tag got cancelled so it’s not a big deal now, but for what we spent, I shouldn’t have to worry about getting stranded 20-30 miles from camp.

Had machine at the dealer for another reason. They found both rear axles worn out on outer cv’s and clunking. So if you’re hearing a clunking check the outer cv joints.
Mine doing it since 600 miles. Especially if unloaded.

Spit out the drivers side again. Was at the dealer grabbed one of the old axles. I’ll put that in and see if it dies it again.
IMG_7055.jpeg

Spit out the drivers side again. Was at the dealer grabbed one of the old axles. I’ll put that in and see if it dies it again.
That shit has got to be getting old. What's the dealers (or Polaris') plan to fix it for good?

Sure does seem like that axle is too short
Spring clip super weak! The clip the way it was would take nothing to pop it out.

I had one original axle they are identical No difference in length. I opened up the spring clip a bit and reinstalled the new axle. It is locked in there now!
IMG_7059.jpeg
IMG_7060.jpeg
IMG_7061.jpeg
IMG_7062.jpeg
IMG_7063.jpeg

Back