• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

1500 won’t move on an incline

Emchapman2

Jul 1, 2024
Has anyone had issues with their unit not wanting to move when on an incline? I had to stop on a hill during a group ride and couldn’t get moving again. Gas pedal floored, tow haul mode on, 4x4 and 2wd, just screams high rpms like I was driving it like I stole it and after about 5 seconds starts to move a few inches and then it shuts down the rpms for a second and starts screaming again. Almost like the torque converter (if it has one) cannot deliver the power to the wheels. Same happens when your stopped on a flat surface and have to climb over a rock, screams and sometimes will start going but most times have to back up and get a run at it. When you need to accelerate fast, the rpm start screaming but the unit bogs down when you floor it. If there is resistance on the wheels, like going through a stream, the unit bogs down again like it’s holding back and almost makes you think you’re gonna stall out. It is okay going up a hill if I keep the pedal in the exact position without pushing or releasing the gas and it’s a consistent climb but we all know that isn’t possible when you have a dip or a rock to get over. You get 3/4 up the hill and it bogs down and starts screaming rpms again while you lose power and slow down. Has anyone else had these issues?

Has anyone had issues with their unit not wanting to move when on an incline? I had to stop on a hill during a group ride and couldn’t get moving again. Gas pedal floored, tow haul mode on, 4x4 and 2wd, just screams high rpms like I was driving it like I stole it and after about 5 seconds starts to move a few inches and then it shuts down the rpms for a second and starts screaming again. Almost like the torque converter (if it has one) cannot deliver the power to the wheels. Same happens when your stopped on a flat surface and have to climb over a rock, screams and sometimes will start going but most times have to back up and get a run at it. When you need to accelerate fast, the rpm start screaming but the unit bogs down when you floor it. If there is resistance on the wheels, like going through a stream, the unit bogs down again like it’s holding back and almost makes you think you’re gonna stall out. It is okay going up a hill if I keep the pedal in the exact position without pushing or releasing the gas and it’s a consistent climb but we all know that isn’t possible when you have a dip or a rock to get over. You get 3/4 up the hill and it bogs down and starts screaming rpms again while you lose power and slow down. Has anyone else had these issues?
Dosent sound good to me back to the dealer

I think if others were having the issue you described you would have read about it here. Sounds like there is something seriously wrong with your transmission or the software that is controlling it. As said above time to see your dealer.

We went on 1st mountain ride with ours today and had the exact same problem. System would not generate enough torque to even spin the wheels. Very disappointed.....going back to the dealer.

Their newest update will fix that.

We went on 1st mountain ride with ours today and had the exact same problem. System would not generate enough torque to even spin the wheels. Very disappointed.....going back to the dealer.
What I was told today there are 1 or 2 software update they need to do on the transmission program and it will be as good as new. Once we get back I’ll take it in and let you know.

This sounds like the problem I am having as well. I called the dealership and they don't know of any issues (maybe I need to find another dealership). I am new to Polaris, so I am learning how to find resources. Is there a post/TSB/recall/official document I can reference when talking to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

I've had no problems so I can't help. If others have had the problem solved by a software update (and it appears they have) than Polaris should know about it. I would suggest you tell your dealer to contact the mothership and ask for advice.

This sounds like the problem I am having as well. I called the dealership and they don't know of any issues (maybe I need to find another dealership). I am new to Polaris, so I am learning how to find resources. Is there a post/TSB/recall/official document I can reference when talking to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

This exact thing happened to me. I had to back down the hill and take a run at the hill.

It would just rev up. Wouldn’t put power to the tires.

Has anyone had issues with their unit not wanting to move when on an incline? I had to stop on a hill during a group ride and couldn’t get moving again. Gas pedal floored, tow haul mode on, 4x4 and 2wd, just screams high rpms
This scares me more than any other issue being dealt with. If the engine is putting power into the trans and the tranny output shaft isn't turning it means either the wet clutches or the steel belt is slipping.
When this happened with our old cvt's we would swap the belt because of the flat spot we caused due to babying the throttle. On 1500`s we depend on the ecm to send the proper hydraulic pressure to the sheaves and control their drive diameter to obtain the correct gear ratio.
We have a few descent inclines on our land and at 200 miles on the clock have not experienced this. Polaris engineers sales clip advertise this trans as bullet proof which was a decision maker for me.
Our Pioneer at 4200 miles is about to get it's second odd gear clutch (it is also the take off clutch) but I now drive like the old man I am and constantly slip the clutch to view our woods. BTW, this is the only issue with it in 8 years.
I think if I have a couple of these experiences I will drain the tranny oil to inspect for fiber or metallic particles.
Hoping these are isolated instances for you guys, possibly a programming fix.

I have several inclines on my property 30° slope's and 600 miles on mine now she just flies up them I mean 30mph+ without trying my diesel gator use to struggle had to turn ac off on some or it would pout with a new belt to boot

Don’t want to hear this either hope you tell us what dealer finds out

Are most of these issues related to The XD ultimates or are the Premium Xds having the Same issues...?

Mine was a little different where I couldn't get any RPM's. Mine would come to a stop and not attempt to give it power. Dealer said the first ones out they didn't put enough ATF in them and thought I burnt up the transmission even though it ran fine down roads. Two months later they put a new transmission it in and it still wouldn't climb or attempt to have enough power to climb. They finally replaced the TCM which seemed to be the biggest issue. Later found out they want it in Two/Haul mode, floor it and as the RPM's reach about 3K it engages and lunges forward. When it engages, get off the gas and somehow that engages the wet clutch (Dealers Words) and you can then go up the hill. Said it puts the transmission in a protective mode. It did climb a pretty good hill and actually had enough power for the tires to start to dig going up. I stopped halfway up with the mechanic to see if it would keep going from a dead stop on a steep incline.... saw the look of oh $%^* with him sitting in with me and it did continue to climb. I'm no mechanic but they gave me a paper from Polaris with those instructions. This weekend will be first time out with it since I climbed the hill with the Dealer and will see how it does.

Reactions: JCX
Update - Polaris has told me this is normal behavior for the transmission. High elevations, mud and even plowing snow can cause the transmission to basically go into a safe mode. So, I’m stuck with a machine that can only perform at lower elevations, with no mud and cannot plow snow if I needed to because it wants to protect the transmission. Why would I have purchased this unit if I cannot use it anywhere I want to ride? A huge safety concern if I need to get out of a muddy spot or creek or on a hill and it won’t move because it’s “normal operation” and there isn’t a problem from Polaris’s standpoint. So beware, Polaris won’t stand behind this product and correct the issue. they did offer and sent me a self help guide on how to avoid these situations. Basically don’t go to higher elevations, avoid mud, be careful how much snow you plow.

Update - Polaris has told me this is normal behavior for the transmission. High elevations, mud and even plowing snow can cause the transmission to basically go into a safe mode. So, I’m stuck with a machine that can only perform at lower elevations, with no mud and cannot plow snow if I needed to because it wants to protect the transmission. Why would I have purchased this unit if I cannot use it anywhere I want to ride? A huge safety concern if I need to get out of a muddy spot or creek or on a hill and it won’t move because it’s “normal operation” and there isn’t a problem from Polaris’s standpoint. So beware, Polaris won’t stand behind this product and correct the issue. they did offer and sent me a self help guide on how to avoid these situations. Basically don’t go to higher elevations, avoid mud, be careful how much snow you plow.
Just Crazy...WTH..

Back