• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

Transmission sliooing

bschneider1977

Jul 11, 2024
Just got my new 1500 ultimate. I’m a farmer so was driving mainly thru pastures and on back roads. Took it to Colorado this week and am really disappointed. Won’t even climb a little hill, just slips Tried all the modes everything. Only way I could get up even little things is with a running start. Is this the way they are or is mine not right?

I would say "Not Right" I have had 0 issues with this but a few here have. Some say a trip to the dealer and a software update will solve the problem. I'm not sure what's going on lately as all the early test models got rave reviews and no body mentioned this at all. Seems to be a more recent issue???

Reactions: JCX
Does anyone know who Manufactures this Transmission...for Polaris..? That's where they should be getting the Answers from...seems to be a common problem cropping up with Very little Use.

Does anyone know who Manufactures this Transmission...for Polaris..? That's where they should be getting the Answers from...seems to be a common problem cropping up with Very little Use.

Nashville, USA, August 2, 2023 – Polaris Inc., the global leader in powersports, has unveiled its latest innovation at the 2023 Summer Polaris Dealer Meeting in Nashville, USA. The Polaris RANGER XD 1500 – the industry’s first-ever utility side-by-side with a 1500cc 3-cylinder engine for more power and with Punch Powertrain’s cutting-edge CVT technology to make tough jobs easier and provide for greater durability.​

Punch Powertrain is in Belgium, and I'm sure Polaris is working with them if it is a transmission issue and not something else.

Nashville, USA, August 2, 2023 – Polaris Inc., the global leader in powersports, has unveiled its latest innovation at the 2023 Summer Polaris Dealer Meeting in Nashville, USA. The Polaris RANGER XD 1500 – the industry’s first-ever utility side-by-side with a 1500cc 3-cylinder engine for more power and with Punch Powertrain’s cutting-edge CVT technology to make tough jobs easier and provide for greater durability.​

Punch Powertrain is in Belgium, and I'm sure Polaris is working with them if it is a transmission issue and not something else.
Good info Red...Yah alota different components it could be i guess. But apparently its One that isn't doing its part very well. Maybe thats why the Dealer told me not to the XD down over the Hill. Some guys saying they Run fine on the level....maybe some Kinda inclometer .... ?

Wet cvt's are WIDELY used in the automotive industry but typically are in smaller/lighter vehicles. Our XD's weigh only a 1000ish less than a jeep and are rated to tow 3500. I have to believe they tested them 30% over ratings in severe conditions.

I live in the center of Ohio and we have four 45sh degree inclines we climb, they are only a couple hundred feet long so they are just short steep hills , not mountains. I cannot get a run for any of them due to making sharp turns at the base. With four adults and my son it eats them up. Just the way the machine grunts at the base and then gains momentum all the way up I am confident it would climb a mile high incline.

The sheave diameters are controlled hydraulically rather than rpm like their rubber belted brothers. That is why the mannerisms of this new to Polaris tranny is so different and in my opinion soooo much better. Mine gives me the feel of a turbo machine.
As for this issue cropping up time will tell but the ecm controls the hydraulic pressure to CVT sheaves so it could be as simple as programming.
Let's hope!

Like oneal I'm a flat lander but we have steep hills and timber as well. My Ranger will climb anything I point it at so I don't understand why some don't. I agree with oneal that it's not a transmission design problem per say, more likely tied to programming, hydraulics, or ecm.

Just got my new 1500 ultimate. I’m a farmer so was driving mainly thru pastures and on back roads. Took it to Colorado this week and am really disappointed. Won’t even climb a little hill, just slips Tried all the modes everything. Only way I could get up even little things is with a running start. Is this the way they are or is mine not right?
This was my post from the thread "1500 won't move on an incline"

Mine was a little different where I couldn't get any RPM's. Mine would come to a stop and not attempt to give it power. Dealer said the first ones out they didn't put enough ATF in them and thought I burnt up the transmission even though it ran fine down roads. Two months later they put a new transmission it in and it still wouldn't climb or attempt to have enough power to climb. They finally replaced the TCM which seemed to be the biggest issue. Later found out they want it in Two/Haul mode, floor it and as the RPM's reach about 3K it engages and lunges forward. When it engages, get off the gas and somehow that engages the wet clutch (Dealers Words) and you can then go up the hill. Said it puts the transmission in a protective mode. It did climb a pretty good hill and actually had enough power for the tires to start to dig going up. I stopped halfway up with the mechanic to see if it would keep going from a dead stop on a steep incline.... saw the look of oh $%^* with him sitting in with me and it did continue to climb. I'm no mechanic but they gave me a paper from Polaris with those instructions. This weekend will be first time out with it since I climbed the hill with the Dealer and will see how it does.

So obviously something is wrong with machines that won't climb hills. I think (not sure) it was Clubin that had his fixed with a trip to the dealer and got a software update for the tranny. So have those with issues been to their dealer yet? What did you find out?

So obviously something is wrong with machines that won't climb hills. I think (not sure) it was Clubin that had his fixed with a trip to the dealer and got a software update for the tranny. So have those with issues been to their dealer yet? What did you find out?
They did say the reprogrammed my transmission. This weekend over union pass it ran great and no issues but didn't have any hill climbing to do. Engine temp stayed at 201-210 so am curious about that.

Back