• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

In need of new tires

rjdressen

Sep 19, 2024
The stock tires aren't going to hold up on the road, hard pack, and rock that we'll be riding in Utah. Most importantly, I need a hardback tire that will also work well in the snow as I use the machine to plow at 7,000ft; a lot of snow! What do you guys recommend for tires? Will the BFGs or Cooper truck tires work in the snow and on the trail too? Do they have enough side wall protection and such or should I do something like the Tusk Aramid Terrabite 10 ply?

And what about size, stock is 30", if I go to a 32", would my turning radius increase? Sounds like an odd question, but I plow in very tight spaces and before I purchased the machine, I actually tested to be sure I can make the necessary turns when plowing without having to stop and back up. The 32" tires look cool but I dont want to screw up the turning radius. On my former machine, I changed the A-arms , wheels, and tires, and the result made the turning radius horrible,. I'm positive most of it, if not all, was probably do to the a-arms but dont want to make the same mistake just to look better.

I can't really help you but will share I have installed numerous a arms on machines and learned the turning radius is also effected by the maximum steering degree. I won't mention brands but there was one I seen that had poor qc on their steering stops and everyone that used them had to grind a little off.
I installed 2" forward arms, can't feel the difference in turning radius. Our riding area has numerous tight technical sections and we had no issues after I changed them. Obviously the machine is 2" longer on the wheel center so it had to change. What I do not know is what the actual maximum steering degree was OEM compared to the aftermarket ones I installed. One degree more or less will definitely change the equation.

Moving up to a 32" tire should not change the turning radius. Your wheelbase remains the same so does the degree at which it will turn. If you add forward A-arms that would extend your wheel base thus increasing your turning radius. I would definately go up to a 32" tire as I don't know of any negatives by doing so other than raising your center of gravity 1". No modifications needed to run 32" tires. I have the BFG KM3 UTV tires and love them. They don't have the most aggressive tread pattern but have performed very well for me in the mud and snow. On hard pack dirt, gravel, and pavement they perform better than ANY UTV tire I have ever owned. Cruise down the road at 60 MPH just as smooth as my truck does.

Back