• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

I changed the transmission fluid!

Rocklong

Jan 16, 2024
At 4K miles I changed the tranny fluid. Not to bad of a job but 6 quarts of oil and a filter was $428. Ouch!
All you have to do is raise the machine up if you have a hoist and there’s a plate below the trans pan. Once you get that off pull the drain plug on the pan, let it drain then pull the pan off with the 10 mm bolts around it. (About right at 4 quarts came out). There is an Allen head plug next to the pan where you fill and check the level. The filter is not bolted on it just pulls off. Clean everything up put the filter on then the pan and tighten it up. I used a hand pump and stuck a rubber hose up in the level check port and put in roughly three quarts until it run out the put the plug back in. Then I started the sxs and shifted it through the gears several times pausing for awhile in each gear. Leave the sxs running and you can pull the plug and add more fluid until it runs out I put in around 4.25 quarts. It is full when it runs out the port and tranny is about 140f.
Prettt easy job if you have a hoist but you could do it without if you had to.
The fill and level plug is in the pic below and it also says it on the transmission

Attachments

• IMG_2966.png
    IMG_2966.png
    845.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Thanks for the info Rocklong! I'm not sure if I'm going to do mine myself or not, I have a few thousand more miles before I have to decide.

At 4K miles I changed the tranny fluid. Not to bad of a job but 6 quarts of oil and a filter was $428. Ouch!
All you have to do is raise the machine up if you have a hoist and there’s a plate below the trans pan. Once you get that off pull the drain plug on the pan, let it drain then pull the pan off with the 10 mm bolts around it. (About right at 4 quarts came out). There is an Allen head plug next to the pan where you fill and check the level. The filter is not bolted on it just pulls off. Clean everything up put the filter on then the pan and tighten it up. I used a hand pump and stuck a rubber hose up in the level check port and put in roughly three quarts until it run out the put the plug back in. Then I started the sxs and shifted it through the gears several times pausing for awhile in each gear. Leave the sxs running and you can pull the plug and add more fluid until it runs out I put in around 4.25 quarts. It is full when it runs out the port and tranny is about 140f.
Prettt easy job if you have a hoist but you could do it without if you had to.
The fill and level plug is in the pic below and it also says it on the transmission
You seem to be the only one who has ever changed the tranny oil, thanks for the report, I drained mine over the weekend, hoping to find the special oil at my Polaris dealer tomorrow... I don't get that the fill port is at the bottom of the tranny? How can that work especially for that much oil? Is there another way to fill it?
Thanks for your help.

I looked all over and never seen a full port anywhere up top. The port where I filled has a riser up into the tranny and is used to check the level. It’s not on the very bottom but it close and there’s a riser pipe inside the tranny to set the level at around 140f.

I also appreciate your report. How did the spent oil look ? Every automotive tranny I did the old oil didn't look much different than the new. Filter have any debris in it?
425.00 eh ? That seems awfully high. Sorry for all the questions

Awesome news, you are the first real world report on the tranny. With what you viewed at 4k that is a great sign. Thanks again for sharing.

I looked all over and never seen a full port anywhere up top. The port where I filled has a riser up into the tranny and is used to check the level. It’s not on the very bottom but it close and there’s a riser pipe inside the tranny to set the level at around 140f.
What apparatus did you use to get the oil in the fill port? I'm thinking a turkey baster or syringe.

it was very similar to that but any hand pump that fits quart bottle with a hose would work just fine.

Fill Port on the Transmission
My Polaris dealer (Dillon MT) printed this page out of the service manual (available for 90 bucks) which was helpful to me, also figured out there is a rubber grommet under the center flip up arm rest in the back seat, (crew cab) to get access to the fill port.

Attachments

• tempImageLAwYs1.png
    tempImageLAwYs1.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImage5S33DM.png
    tempImage5S33DM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • tempImageOHje4f.png
    tempImageOHje4f.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 5
How much oil was needed? My dealer gave me 5 quarts with the filter. Don't want to drain it if I don't have enough to complete the job.

Back