• 🔖 It looks like you are browsing the site as a guest. By registering on the site you can participate on the Internet's largest Polaris Ranger XD 1500 forum. To register, simply Click Here!

3000 km both rear axles worn out

Clubin

Oct 13, 2023
Had machine at the dealer for another reason. They found both rear axles worn out on outer cv’s and clunking. So if you’re hearing a clunking check the outer cv joints.

Last edited:
You, CANNOT get free of issues
I tightened my spindles, clunking got louder. I overtightened them and noise level continued to increase. Told my wife yesterday I felt like the noise was coming from the rear end which of course where the plunge cv resides. On the 05's they had a tolerance issue with the splines. Mine has just 600 miles on it.
Reflash to make the wrench go away
Window operator not correct on drivers door
Clunking
Burnt winch
Safety recall
I guess the list is long enough to make a half day trip to drop it off

Last edited:
I’m not real happy about it all. But my dealer is truly doing his best. It’s Polaris that moves so slow.

It’s Polaris that moves so slow.
That has always be one of their downfalls, glad you have a good dealer.
I was so curious I ran home to check mine and they seem fine. I have jerked on many over the years checking for slop and though have blown two to bits it was always in a binding situation and never actually wore one out. As loud as my clunk is I still find it hard to believe it is originating from the outer hubs.

I just got back from a trip to the mountains and mine started clunking from the left rear when getting on or off the throttle. I pulled the tire the other day and the axle nut was tight. I better take a closer look at the cv joints. 2500 miles

Are these machines going to nickel and dime us after a couple of thousand miles,, paying this kind of money for them I expected using it under normal conditions they should last a long time. Not replacing axles after 600 to 1500 miles ,rear diffs being replaced ,wiring harnesses being replaced,etc. Taking it back to the dealer is a pain. Quality control and parts quality is lacking. The consumer always does the Quality control for polaris at your expense taking it back and forth to the dealer.

I sure in the hell hope not! Don’t get me wrong, I love my XD, and only issue I’ve had is needing the updates, which is no big deal. But I do have the clunking in the rear. And dealer said, they tightened to factory spec. My machine goes back to the dealer in mid October for rear stereo and plow shifter controller installs. So hopefully they can check the CV’s and axles again. Before any serious damage occurs. I might also reach out to another shop and see if they’re qualified for warranty work through Polaris.

Are these machines going to nickel and dime us after a couple of thousand miles,, paying this kind of money for them I expected using it under normal conditions they should last a long time. Not replacing axles after 600 to 1500 miles ,rear diffs being replaced ,wiring harnesses being replaced
Please don’t think I am pro Polaris because I am not. To date I have owned at least 12 sxs’s. I swore off of Polaris due to the downfalls we are currently experiencing on past models.
But I made a mistake, drove a 1500, love it, and forgot the past.
The difference this round is we all have 3 years to sort these problems out and though it is a shame they are utilizing reverse engineering they will correct these issues or go broke with them filling up the dealership’s waiting on parts.

Had machine at the dealer for another reason. They found both rear axles worn out on outer cv’s and clunking. So if you’re hearing a clunking check the outer cv joints.
Mine’s been clunking for 8 months dealer said it was u-joint lash . Never heard of that before I’ve been a mechanic for 50 years.

Back